Wednesday, March 16, 2011

More on Family....

This is a picture of me and my dad after my graduation last May...it means so much to me because I love my dad. My mom passed away almost 5 years ago...she was my best friend!! we talked on the phone everyday...I saw her just hours before she took a turn for the worse and I was called back to the hospital.She apparently had thrown a clot to the lung  - a pulmonary embolism and they rushed her to ICU. Dad had gone home to gather some things before moms scheduled hip surgery. They have lived in Salina since 1989. I never forget wondering how I could make that call - my husband broke all speeding laws getting up to Salina and getting my dad back here to Wichita.
Mom held on - despite all odds. She did not code until dad got here to say goodbye. She coded again after he said his goodbyes and they could not bring her back. She was gone.That was a true testament of the love that they had for one another!! That is also what they taught all of us about family!!Family sticks it out until the bitter end. I have tried to instill that in my children as well...not so sure I did it as well as my mom and dad did - but I tried. Family is more than just being related. I am related to people I have never met...we all are really. What makes a family is the bond of your lives and emotions getting so entwined with each other that you would feel the separation when they are gone. You would do anything to help them in a time of need. family prays for you, family tells you the truth - even when you don't want to hear it. Sometimes families have to show some tough love...I have had to a lot in the last few years. But just like the father in the story of the prodigal son - family always forgives and welcomes each other back.

This is Mia Jo baker - my granddaughter. She was named after me and my mother - JO! Due to choices her mother made - she is currently in foster care...not with family. This pains me beyond measure. I have a meeting tomorrow to discuss the plan for my daughter and granddaughter - I have some tough words to say - because I cannot and will not lose a member of my family!!! I am already raising one granddaughter...but Mia has the possibility of going to a family that I consider family - that loves her unconditionally - that has a strong bond with her. They are her family. God has brought them into our lives and Kristin and I have grown close like sisters. My own sister has volunteered to take Mia - today she even said she would adopt her if it came to that. That's what family does for family!!!

So i ask that you pray for Mia - you pray for me - pray for the Chadwicks - pray for the people making decisions. Pray that God would help us to  open up their eyes that they see what a wonderful and supporting family Mia has - it includes others too - like the Davis and Allenbach families. Pray that Mia will be able to come back to her family!!

1 comment:

  1. Praying, as you know!! And we would adopt Mia in a heartbeat too! And Youthville is aware of our opinion on that too!! We love and miss her so much!! So happy you get to see her tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete